Summer officially starts this Friday, but a lot of the summer vegetables are already popping up at the farmers market in my region. Here’s one recipe that I make all summer long that uses all ingredients that I buy at the farmers market, including the bacon.
I adapted this recipe from the Corn and Zucchini Melody recipe on Allrecipes.com. The original recipe doesn’t have as large a variety of vegetables and adds cheese on top. As much as I love cheese, I think this particular recipe is fine without it.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 c zucchini, sliced
- 1 c yellow squash, sliced
- 1 ½ c fresh corn kernels (frozen can be substituted)
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- pinch of pepper
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until just beginning to get crisp. Do not overcook. Remove cooked bacon and dice.
- Remove all but about a tablespoon of bacon drippings from the pan. Add vegetables and sauté for about 10 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Season with pepper.
- The salt in the bacon should make this dish salty enough that no added salt is needed.
- Any variety of summer vegetables could be added to this – other color bell peppers, eggplant, shelled peas, green beans …. The possibilities are endless, although I probably wouldn’t use lettuces or tomatoes.