Last week my oldest requested tacos for dinner. I usually do ground beef tacos, but we didn’t have any ground beef in the house and it was snowing when he asked. I wasn’t going to go out to the store just for beef. I did have chicken breasts in the freezer. I searched for some slow cooker recipes for chicken taco meat, and I came across an easy variation on several sites — chicken, a packet of taco seasoning and salsa slow cooked together.
I gave it a try, and it was a huge hit. My son ate chicken tacos three days in a row. Instead of using a packet of taco seasoning, I used my own taco seasoning blend. I haven’t bought packets of taco seasoning in years.
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 1 recipe taco seasoning blend
- 16 oz jarred salsa, I used one with medium heat, but you can use a salsa that’s as spicy as you like
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts evenly with the taco seasoning.
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Pour salsa over top of the chicken.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Serve as a burrito filling or as meat for tacos.
- This made enough that I froze half of it for another time.
- I served this with soft taco shells, sauteed onions and red pepper, shredded spinach, chopped tomatoes and shredded cheese.
- The next two days, my son came home from school, reheated the meat and threw it in hard taco shells with shredded cheese and hot banana peppers.