It’s been years since I’ve made any recipe that calls for a can of condensed cream of broccoli or mushroom or other cream of soup. The soups are usually high in sodium and fat, and I decided that I didn’t want to use them. There are some recipes that my family likes, however, that I had to stop making.
Last week, I decided it was time to find a homemade substitute for condensed cream soups to use in cooking – one with ingredients that I feel comfortable with. A Google search came up with many suggestions, After searching through several of them, I altered one a bit from Group Recipes to a substitute for condensed cream of broccoli soup. If any of your Thanksgiving or Christmas recipes calls for a can of cream of... soup, try this substitution.
Later today, I’ll share the recipe with you that I used this soup in – one that I used to serve to company, but I stopped making because of the can of soup in it. I’m happy to be able to make it again.
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ c flour
- ½ tsp Organic Better Than Bouillon chicken base dissolved in ½ c boiling water
- ½ c 1% milk
- salt & pepper
- 1/3 c finally chopped broccoli
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the broccoli and sauté until the broccoli is soft
- Stir in the flour until it’s thick (remember you’re making a substitute for condensed soup so you want thick)
- Add stock dissolved bouillon slowly, stirring until there are no lumps
- Bring to a boil and stir for a few minutes until thickened
- Add milk and the salt & pepper to taste and stir until combined and thick
- Use in a recipe that calls for one 14 ½ oz can of cream of broccoli soup
- This recipe can be altered for other cream of soups. Switch out the broccoli for mushrooms and the chicken base for Better Than Bouillon’s mushroom base, and you have a substitute for condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- I used 1% milk, but using 2% or whole milk would result in a richer taste if you feel it’s missing.
- Do not eat this straight like soup. It’s meant to be a substitute for a can of condensed cream of broccoli soup in a recipe, not actually cream of broccoli soup (although you could probably add more milk and make it into a soup).
- The link to the Better than Bouillon above takes you to the manufacturers page where you can buy it. I bought it at Wegmans for about half the price.