Eggplant is a hearty vegetable, and it holds up very well when done on the grill. It’s perfect sliced, drizzled with a little olive oil, salt & pepper, and then grilled and served alongside whatever meat your grilling. But, it’s also perfect as a substitute for meat. These recipes all call for grilled eggplant, and when served with a variety of other meatless side dishes, they make a satisfying meal.
- Grilled Eggplant and Goat Cheese Salad – I’m not sure I would call this a salad. Grilled eggplant gets some herbs, pine nuts and goat cheese piled on top, but whatever it should technically be called, it looks delicious.
- Grilled Eggplant Panini – Grilled eggplant, other fresh summer vegetables get topped with cheese and placed between bread toasted on the grill.
- Eggplant and yellow pepper dip – This recipe calls for the vegetables to be roasted, but you could just as easily throw them on the grill. It’s a good dip for vegetables, pita or crackers.
- Halloumi and Eggplant Kebobs – Don’t know what halloumi is? That’s okay. Neither did I. It’s a “firm, white cheese that is mild and salty and has a very high melting point.” The cheese and eggplant are skewered with whatever summer vegetables you want, then grilled for a Greek-flavored dinner.
- Grilled Stuffed Eggplant – Eggplant boats are stuffed with tomatoes, breadcrumbs, a little Parmesan cheese, and some herbs and spices, then grilled to a golden crisp.