Welcome to Labor Day weekend — the unofficial end of summer. It’s not nearly as exciting as the unofficial start of summer — Memorial Day weekend. Still, we celebrate this weekend, usually with family, friends and food. If you’re looking for recipes to please a crowd, we have plenty here on MNN for you to choose from.
Incidentally, all the recipes are meatless, but the crowd might not even notice.
Dips and spreads
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus — A decade or so ago, this might have seemed like an odd choice for many Super Bowl parties. Now this Mediterranean spread has become mainstream, and everyone loves it as a dip for veggies, crackers and chips.
- Guacamole — Double or triple this recipe because this basic guacamole will go quickly
- Ranch dressing and dip — Don’t buy bottled. This recipe can be thinned out for dressing or thickened for a dip and has none of the sugary, chemically taste that store-bought dips can have.
- Tomato Watermelon Salad — Two summer staples come together in this salad that celebrates the end-of-summer bounty.
- Spicy Beet, Leek and Walnut Salad — There's lots of texture and flavor in this salad recipe.
- Ribbon Carrot and Zucchini Salad — Head right to the garden or the farmers market for most of the ingredients in this summer salad.
- Mixed Greens and Blue Cheese Salad — This is my personal favorite salad. Simple and tasty with dried cranberries and pecans.
- Grilled Eggplant with Red Bell Pepper Sandwich — No one will miss the meat in the hearty, savory, veggie-heavy sandwich.
- Tofu Sriracha — Here's another meatless dish that’s spicy and grilled with green onions to offset the heat.
- Black Bean Burger — Once these patties are assembled and grilled, they get topped just like a beef burger would.
- Mushroom Burger — Mushrooms are so meaty, and these burgers use sauteed mushrooms instead of ground beef as the base for a hearty burger.
- Corn on the Cob — Just in case you weren’t sure how to prepare this classic in the traditional manner, we have simple instructions.
- Baked Beans — In this roundup of summer slow cooker recipes, you’ll find slow cooker baked beans. It’s good to have a few hands-off dishes when you’re feeding a crowd.
- Sweet Potato Salad — No mayo in this spicy potato salad — just healthy olive oil and plenty of fresh herbs and spices.
- Penne Pasta Salad with Black Olives — Make this salad a day ahead of time to let the flavors meld together.
- Bourbon and Maple Peach Cobbler — Peaches are an end of summer treat. Try fresh peaches in this recipe.
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting — Please a crowd of kids and adults alike with these moist cupcakes.