Cooked Kale with Bacon
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 2 to 4
- 3 slices bacon, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tbs. rendered bacon fat
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch organic kale, rinsed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbs. red wine or apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper, and sea salt to taste
Trim excess fat from bacon, cut into 1-inch sections. Add bacon to large heavy-bottomed skillet. Cook over medium low heat until edges curl and bacon crisps, about 8 minutes. Place bacon on paper towels. Remove rendered bacon fat.
Remove fibrous stems, cut or tear kale crosswise into small strips. Combine olive oil with rendered bacon fat, heat for 1 minute. Add kale to skillet and cover until kale turns bright green and wilts, about 5 or 6 minutes. Remove lid, add water and cook until liquid is evaporated about 10 minutes. Add bacon pieces and toss with vinegar, salt and pepper.