Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 90 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 3 slices bacon, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tbs. rendered bacon fat
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 organic leeks, rinsed, and trimmed
- 2 organic Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 organic celery ribs, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- Freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste
Trim any excess fat from bacon, cut into 1-inch sections. Add bacon to large heavy-bottomed cooking pot. Cook over medium-low heat until edges curl and bacon crisps, about 8 minutes. Place on paper towels, set aside. Remove rendered bacon fat.
Meanwhile, remove green tops and roots from leeks, cut lengthwise and rinse. Slice leeks into thin sections. Chop celery.
Combine olive oil with bacon fat in pot. Dice potatoes, add to pot and cook 10 to 12 minutes until soft. While potatoes are cooking, add garlic to pot and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add leeks and celery and cook for 5 or 6 minutes, or until tender.
Add broth and milk, increase heat to medium-high, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add cooked bacon. Garnish with greens. Season to taste. Serve hot.