A simple soup consisting of pureed squash is an ideal way to warm up after a brisk hike.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 90 minutes
Yield: 4 bowls
- 2 medium-sized butternut squash, halved, seeds removed
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tbs. fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tbs. plain yogurt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Handful toasted pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place halved squash cut side down on lightly greased baking sheet. Brush skin with oil. Bake for 40 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven to cool.
- Combine broth, rosemary and zest in a cooking pot. Using a spoon scrape cooked pulp of squash away from skin. Add to pot. Bring the combined ingredients to a low boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool, pour contents into blender. Process soup until smooth. Add yogurt, salt and pepper. Return to pot. Reheat when ready to serve.