Herb Stuffed Tomatoes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: Feeds 4 as a side
- 4 large tomatoes, firm but ripe
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 black olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole- wheat breadcrumbs
- 3 sprigs rosemary, chopped fine
- 3 sprigs thyme, chopped fine
- 1 tbs. mint, chopped
- 1 tbs. capers, drained
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit.
Remove tops of tomatoes. Using a paring knife remove seeds and pulp leaving a shell. Lightly salt and invert on cutting board to remove excess moisture.
Combine the following ingredients in a mixing bowl; onion, garlic, black olives, olive oil, breadcrumbs, rosemary, thyme, mint and capers. Stir, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Place tomatoes in Dutch oven or high-sided baking dish. Pack each tomato with a generous portion of stuffing. Cook 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Plate tomatoes and spoon juices over top.