Stuffed Bell Peppers
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Yield: Feeds 4
- 2 tbs. olive oil plus extra
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 white button or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 12 oz. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 12 oz. marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon, Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 6 oz. chicken broth
- 4 bell peppers of roughly equivalent size, stemmed and seeded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add the olive oil to large skillet, heat for 1 minute over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and mushroom, cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Bank to side of skillet. Crumble Italian sausage into skillet, brown on both sides, until meat is greyish pink, about 8 minutes. Add marinara sauce, combining ingredients in skillet. Then add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Add the basil leaves to skillet, cook until leaves wilt, turning bright green.
Combine sauce, broth and cooked rice in a large mixing bowl. Stir until blended, about 30 seconds.
Place peppers in baking dish, stuff peppers with sauce from mixing bowl. Add remaining sauce to the bottom of baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil. Place on lower rack of oven and cook for 40 to 50 minutes, until peppers are tender. Remove from oven, remove foil, top peppers with cheese, remaining basil and drizzle with olive oil. Place under broiler until cheese melts and begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.