Curried Chickpeas With Rice
- 4 cups cooked couscous
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch cayenne powder
- 2 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 romaine lettuce, rinsed and stemmed
- Dollop plain yogurt, to taste
Total time: 25 minutes
- Cook couscous according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat about 1 minute. Add onion and garlic. Saute until tender, 5 or 6 minutes. Add curry and other spices and stir about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add chickpeas. Stir and heat about 3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when ingredients darken, transitioning from reddish to reddish-brown.
- Align 2 overlapping leaves to plate lettuce. Add a helping of cooked couscous and 2 tablespoons of curried chickpeas. Top with yogurt.
Yield: 4 to 6