Roasted Tandoori Chicken
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 fresh-squeezed lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and legs
- 1 wedge lemon, optional garnish
Total time: 1 hour
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Combine coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and garam masala in mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat about 1 minute. Add curry spice mixture. Cook and stir 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Return seasoning to mixing bowl. Combine with yogurt, lemon, garlic and fresh ginger. Stir until marinade takes on creamy consistency between the color of terra cotta and burnt umber.
- Skin and trim excess fat from chicken. Set aside skin.* Place chicken pieces in 9x12-inch baking dish. Coat chicken with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place baking dish on center rack and cook chicken 25 to 30 minutes, or until juices run clear. Then set oven to broil to enhance crispiness. Place on top rack and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Allow to cool. Plate chicken with rice. Pour remaining contents of baking dish over chicken to make glaze and curry gravy.
- *Optional: Coat chicken skin with excess marinade and cook in oven following step 5 for the ultimate in meat candy.