Penne Pasta in Anchovy Sauce
A secret weapon in the war against blandness, anchovies can be used as a stealth ingredient to enliven pasta sauces.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 3.2-ounce can anchovy fillets, drained and patted dry
- 16 ounces penne pasta, dry weight
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- Add oil to large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and brown for one minute. Add parsley. Stir until aromatic, about one minute. Add broth and anchovy fillets. Using curved back of a spoon, press fillets against edge of skillet until fillets dissolve into sauce, about 8 minutes. Simmer and cover.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain. Pour contents of skillet into cooking pot. Sprinkle with cheese. Stir and serve hot.