Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour plus 6 weeks
Yield: Makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 vanilla beans, split
- 3 cinnamon sticks, cracked
- 6 whole cloves allspice
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 inches fresh ginger, sliced
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 cups roasted pumpkin, cubed
- 4 cups decent quality vodka
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, optional
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
- To make syrup, bring water to boil in heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add sugar. Stir and reduce heat. Add vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, clove, ginger and nutmeg. Stir and remove from heat. Allow syrup to cool, about 30 minutes.
- Toss cubed pumpkin into tall wide-mouthed jar. Pour vodka over cubes. Add 1 cup syrup. Seal and gently shake contents. Refrigerate up to 1 week, shaking daily. At week's end, add maple syrup to sweeten and bourbon to darken, if needed.
- Strain contents through metal sieve into airtight container. Seal and store in a cool dark place for 5 to 6 weeks. Shake periodically. Strain contents into a clean bottle.