Lemon Poppy Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon poppy seeds, divided
- 4 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until blended. Cut butter into small sections. Add to dry mix. Knead until pea-sized pieces form, about 2 minutes.
- In separate bowl, combine buttermilk with egg and stir, about 1 minute. Pour onto dry ingredients. Fold with fork until dough forms, about 2 minutes.
- Add poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice. Stir until blended, about 1 minute.
- Place dough on lightly floured cutting board. Gently knead into ball. Place on lightly greased cooking sheet and pat into a pie shape with dry hands. Cut into 8 sections with floured knife without separating. Bake on center rack of oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining juice and caster sugar in small bowl. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove scones from oven. Drizzle glaze over scones and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
Yield: Makes 8