Heart-Smart Spinach Dip
Avoid the perils of decadent spinach dip by mixing and matching lighter versions of mayo, sour cream and yogurt.
Heart-Smart Spinach DipMakes about 2 cups
- 1 loaf round rustic bread
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, chopped fine
- 8 ounces soy-based mayo or low-fat mayo
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups chopped vegetables, such as carrots, radishes, peppers
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: Up to 2 hours
Using a sharp knife remove top from bread. Remove center and form a cavity.
Rinse and pat dry spinach to remove grit. Chop into small pieces and place in colander over boiling water. Cover and cook until spinach wilts and turns bright green, about 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Allow to cool.
In large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients except for chopped vegetables. Add cooked spinach. Stir until well blended. Cover and set in fridge to let flavors fuse. Pour into bread cavity before serving with veggies.