Lentil and Orzo Pasta Salad
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: Feeds 4 to 8
- 1cup lentils, cooked and drained
- 1 cup orzo, cooked and drained
- 2 tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs. lemon juice
- 4 tbs. light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tbs. pine nuts or hulled pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 2 tbs. sun dried tomatoes, diced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook lentil and pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside to allow ingredients to cool, about 30 minutes.
Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil and cumin in a sealable glass jar. Shake and set aside to allow flavors to fuse.
Meanwhile prep the vegetables. Place red pepper on baking sheet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender. Chop carrot, onion and parsley, about 20 minutes.
Combine all the ingredients in a large salad bowl. First add the lentils and pasta, toss lightly. Then add chopped veggies and parsley. Add feta and salad dressing. Toss lightly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.