Walnut Scones with Maple Glaze
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes 10 scones
- 10 ounces plain soy or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, plus extra
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Stir until blended, about 1 minute. Add margarine in small quantities, using fingers to incorporate butter into flour. Continue until pebblelike clusters form, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Indent flour in the center of the mixing bowl. Pour half the milk into bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until ingredients are blended, about 2 minutes. Add remaining milk and stir until incorporated, about 1 more minute. Add walnuts to batter.
- Lightly coat an ice cream scoop with margarine. Scoop batter onto an aluminum or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cook scones for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make a glaze, heat maple syrup in double boiler. Slowly add powdered sugar, stirring constantly until contents thicken, about 5 minutes. Drizzle glaze over scones.