Beer-Battered Green Beans with Dipping Sauce
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 lemon, zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra
- Pinch black pepper, plus extra
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch paprika
- 8 ounces lager beer, plus extra
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 pound fresh string beans, trimmed
- In a small mixing bowl combine garlic, olive oil and mayonnaise. Stir until blended. Add lemon juice and zest. Fold again. Add pinch of salt, pepper and mustard. Stir ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Combine flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, black pepper and paprika in a mixing bowl and stir. Indent flour and slowly pour beer into center. Stir ingredients until an even pancake-like batter forms, about 2 minutes. Add extra beer and flour if needed. Batter should cling to green beans without clumping.
- Heat 2 cups vegetable oil in large skillet over medium high heat for about 3 minutes. Dredge 10 string beans in batter and place in hot oil. Cook for about 2 minutes until beans are crisp. Remove from skillet and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Repeat process with remaining beans and plate with dipping sauce.