Stuffed Peppers with Soy Chorizo
- 10 ounces brown rice
- 5 poblano chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Dash salt
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, sliced thin
- 12 ounces soy-based chorizo, casing removed
- 2 ounces salsa
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Sprinkle red chile flakes (optional)
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Coat peppers with 2 tablespoons oil. Place peppers on foil-lined baking sheet in single layer. Sprinkle with salt. Place on center rack of oven. Cook until skin begins to blacken and blister, about 20 minutes.
- In large heavy-bottomed skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat, about 1 minute. Add onions. Cook until tender, 5 or six minutes. Bank onions to side of skillet. Add chorizo. Cook until aromatic, about 6 minutes. Combine with onions. Add cooked brown rice and salsa. Cover and reduce heat.
- Remove blackened peppers from oven. Allow to cool before handling, about 3 minutes. Add 1 heaping tablespoon rice, 1 heaping tablespoon chorizo. Sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven until cheese begins to brown and bubble, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Yield: Serves 5