Wilted Spinach with Baked Eggs
A vibrant veggie alternative to standard breakfast fare that's packed with protein and nutrients.
Wilted Spinach With Baked Eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, chopped (white part only)
- 8 ounces baby spinach, stemmed and rinsed
- Sea salt and coarse black pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- Tabasco to taste
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter with oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, about 1 minute. Add shallot and garlic. Cook until fragrant and garlic turns light shade of brown, about 2 minutes. Add leek. Reduce heat. Stir occasionally until leek becomes tender, 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add spinach with salt. Stir. Cooked spinach wilts, expelling water and turning bright green. Remove from heat after about 4 minutes.
- Make three divots in skillet. Break egg into each indentation. Place skillet on center rack of oven. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Eggs are done when whites have set. Season, plate and serve.
Yield: Serves 2 to 3