Basil Walnut Pesto
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 12 ounces
- 2 bunches basil, stemmed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, halves and pieces
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Pinch salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze fresh lemon (optional)
- Rinse basil in colander and shake to remove excess water. Place on cutting board. Remove leaves from stem for about 4 cups packed tightly in a quart-sized container.
- Chop walnuts in food processor about 30 seconds. Add garlic and chop.
- Add cheese and chop. Add 2 cups basil. Slowly add olive oil until a thick paste forms. Use a rubber spatula to scape down sides. Add remaining leaves with olive oil until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Pack pesto into small jars with tight fitting lids. Stir lightly to remove air pockets and top with a thin layer of olive oil. Refrigerate for up to one week.