Prep time: 30 minutes to allow soaking
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 ounces
- 4 dried Guajillo peppers, or dried red chili peppers, seeded and stemmed
- 4 cherry bomb peppers, seeded and stemmed
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Turn on oven fan. Place dried peppers in a ceramic bowl. Add boiling water and steep for 30 minutes. Remove. Use gloves to stem and scrape away seeds and chop pepper into small sections.
- Meanwhile, use tongs to roast cherry bomb peppers over open flame until skin begins to blacken and blister, about 5 minutes. Place on cutting board. Use gloves to stem and scrape away seeds and chop into small sections.
- Heat skillet. Toast seeds over medium flame until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Process peppers, garlic and toasted seeds in food processor about 10 seconds. Slowly add olive oil until a thick red paste forms, about 1 minute. Add salt.
- Pack sauce into small jar with tight fitting lid. Stir lightly to remove air pockets. Refrigerate.