Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Pizza
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium-sized yellow onions, sliced thin
- 2 ounces dry white wine
- 12 ounces mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 large flat focaccia bread
- 6 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 3 olives, halved, optional garnish
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes to taste
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to large skillet and heat about 1 minute. Add onions. Cook over medium heat, until onions begin to caramelize, about 20 minutes. Stir every few minutes to prevent burning. Add wine after about 10 minutes to prevent onions from drying out. Remove from pan.
Wipe skillet. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat about 1 minute. Add mushrooms. Cook about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Layer cooked vegetables on focaccia bread. Add six dollops of ricotta cheese. Brush outer edges of crust with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Garnish ricotta with olives. Cook for about 10 minutes, and for extra crisp pizza, heat in oven about 3 minutes set to broil. Serve hot.
Serves 4 with salad