Baked Tofu au Jus
Tofu takes on the smoky sweet flavors of the sauce for a faux meat sandwich.
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ounces Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Pinch ground paprika, optional
- 2 shallots, sliced crosswise and thin
- 4 large mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted or untoasted
- Dollop mayonnaise, optional
- Dollop horseradish, optional
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover tofu with paper towels. Place cutting board on top and weight it down to remove excess moisture. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cut tofu in two lengthwise and slice into 1/2-inch sections.
- Combine the Worcestershire, mustard and olive oil in mixing bowl. Stir until a brown gravy-like sauce forms, about 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper and paprika (optional). Dunk tofu and sliced vegetables into sauce.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. To prevent sticking, lightly coat with oil. Place tofu and sliced vegetables on baking sheet. Sprinkle Italian seasoning over top. Place sheet on center rack of oven. After 20 minutes flip tofu, add extra sauce and return to oven. Cook about 20 more minutes. Tofu is done when edges are blackened and sauce reduces to a brown glaze. Remove from oven.
- Stack tofu and veggies between sliced bread, drizzle with any remaining sauce, mayo and horseradish if desired.
Yield: Serves 2-4 with a side of rice