Tofu Falafel with Yogurt Sauce
Feed a large family or a soccer team with a mildly spicy combo of tofu and falafel.
- 16 ounces firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 10 ounces falafel mix
- 6 ounces water
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 4 ounces soft tofu, cubed and chopped
- 4 ounces Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 12 pita pockets
- 4-6 cups loose mixed greens
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Dash sea salt, to taste
- Dash pepper, to taste
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- Pressing tofu will make it more absorbent. On a cutting board cover tofu with paper towels and weight down. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cut tofu into small cubes and chop in food processor.
- Pour falafel mix into large bowl. Add chopped tofu. Stir until blended, about 2 minutes. Slowly add water. Stir until rough paste forms, about 2 minutes. Add half the diced onion and fold into mix. Cover and let stand about 15 minutes.
- To make sauce, combine soft tofu, yogurt, garlic, olive oil, dill and cayenne in bowl. Stir until evenly mixed, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat about 2 minutes.
- Using palms of your hands, press falafel into patties about 1/2 inch thick. Cook patties about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Make in batches of six, until batter is gone. Place patties on paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- Slice open pita pockets. Line each pocket with yogurt sauce and stuff with falafel patties and layered vegetables. Serve immediately.
Yield: Makes 12 pita pockets