Parmesan and Poached Egg Salad
Add an egg to a salad and a side dish becomes a warm meal that can banish winter's chill.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 2-4
Parmesan and Poached Egg
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups Italian bread, cubed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Dash sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place salad greens in a mixing bowl.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in skillet about 1 minute. Add cubes. Sauté until bread turns golden brown. Stir occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add bread to salad greens.
- Add cloves to skillet with remaining oil. Sauté until garlic begins to brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic to greens. Add vinegar. Heat for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Pour warm dressing over salad. Toss salad ingredients until leaves are evenly coated with dressing.
- Crack two eggs into skillet with remaining oil. Fry for about 2 minutes until eggs begin to set. Add 2 tablespoons of water to skillet and cover with tight fitting lid. Heat for about 2 more minutes, until yolk becomes opaque.
- Top greens with eggs. Add shaved Parmesan and capers.