Asparagus, Leek and Fennel Pizza with Ricotta Cream Sauce
A savory pizza that celebrates the flavors of spring!
About This Dish
Celebrate spring flavors with this simple pizza. You can make the dough from scratch, as this recipe describes, or buy pre-made dough to make the meal in a fraction of the time. The sauce is a simple cheese mixture that is rich but not too heavy. If desired, instead of using milk in the sauce, you can use an equivalent amount of white wine for a more complex flavor.
- Pizza stone or baking sheet
- Mixing bowl
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing spoon
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 packet of rapid-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup very warm water
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil for cooking and greasing, separated
- 1⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pecorino Romano cheese
- 2-3 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 6-8 asparagus spears
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Place a pizza stone on the center rack of the oven. Turn the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the pizza stone heats, in a large bowl, combine the flour, olive oil and salt. In a small bowl, combine the yeast, honey and warm water. Stir until the yeast and honey are dissolved. Pour the yeast mixture into the flour and stir gently with a fork or spoon until incorporated and the dough sticks together. Sprinkle a little flour into the bowl if needed, and knead the dough into a ball. Be careful not to overwork the dough. Remove the ball of dough, clean out the mixing bowl and coat it with a little bit of olive oil. Return the dough to the oiled bowl, cover it, and set it aside in a warm, out of the way place to rise. With rapid rise yeast, this takes about 45 minutes.
- When the dough has roughly doubled in size, begin putting together the toppings. In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, pecorino Romano cheese, milk and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a saute pan over medium-high, heat a drizzle of olive oil and add in the asparagus spears, leek and fennel. Saute for 2-3 minutes, or until the leeks and fennel are slightly softened and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Remove the pizza stone from the oven. Using a floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a circle and place it on the pizza stone. Brush a little olive oil over the top of the dough. Spoon on the cheese mixture and gently spread it evenly over the dough. Place the asparagus, fennel and leeks over the cheese mixture.
- Place the pizza in the oven and cook for about 10 mintues, or until the crust has turned a golden brown. Remove, and sprinkle the pizza with a bit of the shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!