Prep time: 45 minutes (including marinating time)
Total time: 55 minutes
Yield: 4 salads
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves left on sprigs
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup ginger, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large cucumbers, chopped in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced (optional)
- Combine cilantro sprigs, ginger, olive oil and garlic in a bowl and muddle together until everything is well mashed.
- Add cucumbers and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir to mix. Cover the bowl and set it aside, stirring occasionally, for about 35 minutes.
- Uncover the bowl and discard the cilantro sprigs. Mix in celery and lime juice. Season with more salt, if desired.
- To serve, divide the avocado and optional tomato slices on the plates. Spoon the cucumber salad over the slices. Garnish with the chopped cilantro and basil. Serve and enjoy!
Related recipes on MNN: