Avocado and Grilled Onion Toast with a Fried Egg
About This Dish
Take your morning breakfast up a notch without putting in any extra effort (well, unless your current breakfast is a bowl of cereal). This simple yet healthy recipe makes the first meal of the day both fancy and filling. Kale microgreens give the dish a nice spicy yet not overpowering flavor, but you can select any microgreens you'd like. Simply grill up your onions, fry up your eggs and pile everything on top of warm toast. It's a meal that will have you leaving for work with an extra bounce in your step.
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- Small skillet
- Medium non-stick skillet
- 4 cage-free organic eggs
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted and sliced
- 1 package kale sprouts (or microgreens of your choice)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 loaf sourdough bread or baguette
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 French baguette or thick-sliced bread of choice
- In a small skillet, warm up the olive oil over medium heat and add the chopped onions. Grill over medium-high heat until they begin to brown, stirring frequently.
- As the onions start to turn golden, warm up the medium non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add in your eggs. You can make your eggs sunny side up or over easy, but be sure to leave the yolk slightly runny as that's a highlight for this dish.
- Brush a thin layer of olive oil over the tops of the bread slices and add to the oven or toaster until golden brown.
- Add half of an avocado to each slice of toast and slightly mash down with a fork. Add the microgreens, then the grilled onions and carefully top with a fried egg. Sprinkle a quarter of a teaspoon of paprika over each egg for a nice hint of smoky flavor. You can also add a little sprinkle of salt and pepper if you wish. Serve and enjoy!