Avocado Toast with Spicy Cabbage Slaw
About This Dish
You just can't beat the combination of cool, creamy cucumber with a spicy, crunchy cabbage slaw. The texture and flavor contrasts are a match made in heaven. The duo is stacked on top of a piece of toasted bread for eat-with-your-hands perfection. This recipe is quick and easy to make up, and you'll have plenty of slaw left over to have as a side for meals later in the week.
- One large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Kitchen knife
- Bread knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- 1 French baguette
- 1 small head of green cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- In a large bowl, combine all the vegetables and toss to mix. Add the lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and toss again to thoroughly coat the vegetables. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- After the salad has had a chance to marinate, remove from fridge, toss the vegetables again and set aside.
- Slice the baguette on a diagonal into 1-inch thick slices.
- Lightly brush the tops of the slices with olive oil and place in the oven or a toaster to toast until golden brown.
- Slice open the avocados, remove the pits and, using a fork, scoop out the avocado and distribute onto the toast slices. Mash the avocado down slightly so it evenly covers the bread. Top with a generous spoonful of the spicy slaw. Add a squeeze more lime juice if desired.