Avocado Toast with Sweet and Spicy Pepper Jelly
About This Dish
This delicious snack packs in a ton of flavor on a tiny bite-sized snack. The creamy avocado is the perfect compliment to the punch of sweet and spicy from the jelly. You can make your sweet and spicy jelly from scratch as this recipe guides, or you can pick up a jar of your favorite kind at the store just to speed things up. Either way, you'll love biting into this great and simple appetizer.
- Food processor or blender
- Large saucepan
- Large spoon
- Jam jars
- Bread knife
- Kitchen knife
- 1 sourdough baguette
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted and sliced
- 1 package spicy microgreens (such as a radish mix)
- 4 red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 small red chiles, coarsely chopped
- 21⁄2 cup organic raw cane sugar
- 11⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
To make the jelly:
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the peppers and chiles together until they are finely chopped. Pour the mixture into a large saucepan and add in the sugar, vinegar and red pepper flakes.
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer. Allow to simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the liquid is reduced by two-thirds and the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes.
- Spoon the warm mixture into heatproof mason jars or jam jars, then cover and chill until the jelly has set, or about 3 hours.
To make the toasts:
- Cut the sourdough baguette on a diagonal to make half-inch slices. Lightly brush olive oil across the tops of the slices and place in the oven or a toaster until golden brown
- Place several slices of avocado onto each toast. Top with the microgreens and a dollop of the sweet and spicy pepper jelly.
- Serve and enjoy!