Avocado Toast with Tomato and Basil
Simple and either hearty or elegant, depending on how you prepare it, this appetizer doesn't disappoint!
About This Dish
This recipe celebrates the joy of putting together a small handful of high quality ingredients to turn a simple snack into a stand-out. Be sure to select nicely ripened tomatoes and avocados so you maximize all of the flavors. Selecting fresh basil and a nice, high-quality olive oil will also take this treat to the next level. This recipe works equally well as an appetizer, served on bite-size crostini, or as a satisfying and healthy lunch when served on a thicker slice of baguette.
- Bread knife
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- 1 French baguette
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted and sliced
- 1 package microgreens (your choice of type)
- 1 lemon
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 6 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- Cut the baguette on a diagonal into about 1-inch thick slices. Or, if you're making appetizers on crostini, slice the baguette into thin rounds. Lightly brush olive oil (about 1 tablespoon) over the top of each slice. Toast the slices a toaster or oven.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, chopped basil and microgreens with the remaining olive oil (about 1 tablespoon). Toss to coat.
- Top the toasts with a heaping spoonful of the salad mixture. Give a little squeeze of the lemon over each slice — just enough to add some zing — and finish the slices with a tiny sprinkle of coarse sea salt.
- Serve and enjoy!