Baked Goat Cheese with Crisps
About This Dish
Baked goat cheese and baguette crisps are meant for each other. For starters, it’s a simple recipe to execute and all of the ingredients can be pulled together in 30 minutes or less, with no delicate timing sequences to worry about.
Baguette crisps are a snap. It's a matter of wedging sliced bread between two baking sheets and placing them in the oven. The results are light, evenly cooked crisps with a satisfying crunch. The remaining items require a quick lap around the pantry for Mediterranean ingredients that are both healthy and readily available.
The end result is an addictive gooey appetizer that’s perfect for a casual dinner party or an informal social gathering.
- Bread knife
- 2 same-sized baking sheets
- 2 sheets parchment paper
- 9 -inch casserole dish
- 1 mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Oven mitts
- Newspaper (optional)
- 1 day-old baguette, sliced
- 8 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 cups marinara sauce
- 8-10 basil leaves, torn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut baguette into 1/3-inch pieces which should make about 24 crisps. Place bread on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover bread with a second layer of parchment paper. Place a second baking sheet on top of the parchment paper, so the sheets nest. Then place baking sheets on the center rack of the oven, and bake for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven to cool for 5 minutes more and transfer crisps to a plate.
- Meanwhile, combine goat cheese, yogurt, Parmesan cheese and black pepper in mixing bowl, stirring until evenly blended, about 2 minutes. Coat the bottom and sides of casserole dish with olive oil. Use a spatula to evenly distribute the cheese and yogurt mixture in dish, leaving a 1-inch margin around the rim. Then make a moat with marina sauce.
- Place casserole dish on baking sheet on top rack of oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese begins to turn golden brown. Open the oven and sprinkle with basil, return to oven, set to broil for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to cool and serve with crisps.