Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 90 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 small bunch spinach, chopped
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste for roasted veggies
- 1 cup polenta
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 to 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons Kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, toss together the carrot, onion and red pepper slices with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Spread them out on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Stick them in the oven on the center rack and roast them for 25-30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring every 10-12 minutes to evenly roast them.
- While the vegetables are roasting, put the water and salt in a large pot and bring to a simmer on medium-high heat. Add the polenta a little at a time, whisking constantly. As the polenta thickens, stir it with a spoon until it pulls away from the sides of the pot. Add in 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, stir, then pour the mixture into a 2-quart greased casserole dish. Spread it evenly in the dish, and then sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top.
- Evenly spread the roasted vegetables, spinach, capers and olives on top of the polenta. Spread the tomato sauce over the vegetables and top with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake it for about 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned, and the vegetables are bubbling at the edges of the dish.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes. This allows the polenta to firm up a bit.
- Cut into squares, plate, and enjoy!
Related recipes on MNN: