Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 1 dried hot red pepper or dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot on medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent and just beginning to brown. Add the garlic, ginger, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon zest and red pepper. Cook the mixture for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Toss in the chickpeas and turn the heat up to high, cooking until the chickpeas turn golden and are thoroughly coated with the onion and spice mixture.
- Add in the spinach a handful at a time, waiting for it to wilt a little before adding the next handful. Stir it in to incorporate it into the mix.
- Pour in the coconut milk, salt, ground ginger, and lemon juice. Bring the pot to a simmer, then turn the heat to medium low and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Give it a taste and adjust the lemon juice, salt or other spices as needed.
- Serve the dish on its own or ladle it over a bed of rice. Enjoy!
Related on MNN: