Carrot Cardamom Muffins with Dates and Walnuts
Sugar and spice and everything nice goes into these wonderful morning muffins.
About This Dish
Muffins are wonderful to bake because the recipes are always so forgiving. You don't have to be nearly as precise as you do with many other cookie or cake recipes. This particular muffin recipe is particularly handy because you can customize the goodies you add in. Switch up the carrots for zucchini, or add a mix of both. Swap out walnuts for chopped pecans. Toss in some chocolate chips instead of the dates. The point is, you can have fun with this recipe because it's hard to mess up.
Olive oil is a healthy fat so you can use it in this recipe guilt-free. However, if you want to reduce the fat content of the muffins, you can substitute unsweetened apple sauce for olive oil. Use 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of apple sauce in place of 3/4 cup olive oil.
- Muffin tin
- Paper cupcake liners
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Blender or immersion blender
- 1.5 cups ripe banana puree (about 3 bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup raw cane sugar
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Medjool dates (about 5-6 dates)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (or both!)
- 3⁄4 cup finely grated carrots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the banana puree, sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time, gently folding to combine.
- Stir in the dates, nuts and grated carrots.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the cupcake wells, filling each about half way. Place the tins in the oven on the center rack and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve and enjoy!