Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: Makes one 8-inch cake
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1//4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and place on middle rack for 5 minutes or until they become fragrant and slightly toasted. Remove, and pour in the center of a dry kitchen towel. Rub the hazelnuts to remove the skins. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Fill a medium pot with a couple inches of water and bring to a simmer. In a medium bowl, combine the bittersweet chocolate chips and coconut oil. Set the bowl over the pot and let the ingredients melt. Once melted, remove and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/4 cup of coconut palm sugar. Add the yogurt, vanilla extract, chocolate mixture, almond flour, buckwheat flour and salt. Whisk until just combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form semi-stiff peaks. Slowly add the remaining coconut palm sugar while whisking, and whisk to stiff peaks. Gently fold a few large spoonfuls of the meringue into the cake batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining meringue as gently as possible, trying not to overwork the batter. Fold in the chopped hazelnuts.
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper, and grease the sides with cooking spray or butter. Pour the batter into the pan. Place the pan in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be sure not to over-bake. Remove the cake pan and place it on a wire rack to cool slightly, so the edges of the cake pull away from the pan. Invert onto a platter, allow to cool completely, slice and enjoy!