- 1-1/2 pounds tofu, extra firm or super firm
- 1/2 cup eggless mayonnaise (Nayonnaise and Vegenaise are great, but Wildwood’s Garlic Aioli is my fave)
- 2 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 4 scallions (white and green parts), finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons pickle relish
- 1-1/2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 10 slices good-quality sliced bread
- In a large bowl, mash tofu with a fork, potato masher, or your hands.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spread a few tablespoons of the tofu mixture on the bottom bread slices. Top with remaining slices of bread. (Toasted slices make this even more scrumptious!)
- Carefully cut the crusts off the sandwiches with a sharp knife. Cut in half diagonally, then cut in half again so you’re left with small triangle-shaped finger sandwiches. (Throw the crust out to the grateful birds.)
- Wonderful as a sandwich filling on a hard roll or stuffed in a pita
- Serve on crackers as an appetizer or party dish
- Serve as a side salad – great for picnics and BBQs!
- Use cubed, steamed tempeh for a “better than chicken” salad.
- Use potatoes for a tasty potato salad.
- Use garbanzo beans/chickpeas for a “better than tuna” salad. (Grind the beans in a food processor for a tuna-like size and texture.
Related on MNN:
- Are you vegan but miss the taste of fried egg in the morning? Try Vegg
- 5 tofu dishes for skeptics
- 5 easy eggless desserts