Prep time: 2 and half hours, including dough chilling
Total time: 3 and half hours
Yield: 1 pie
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Pie Dough
- 4 cup white rice flour
- 2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 cup potato starch
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons xanthan gum
- 18 oz. gluten free AP "flour"
- 6 oz. sugar
- 12 oz. cold butter, cut to 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of kosher salt
Ingredients for Tomato-Strawberry Pie Filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free AP "flour"
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 12 oz. tomatoes
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Turbinado sugar, to garnish
- Whisk together white rice flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and xanthan gum. Set aside. This is the gluten-free all-purpose "flour" that can be used as a substitute for AP flour in most pie, cake and cookie recipes.
- Combine the "flour" and sugar in the bowl of a mixer with a paddle attachment. Add the cold butter and mix until it resembles a streusel.
- Add the egg, vanilla and salt. Mix until it lobs up into a ball.
- Chill dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours before use.
Cooking Directions for the Gluten-Free Tomato-Strawberry Pie Filling
- Bring a medium pot of water to a rolling boil. Prepare a bowl of ice water nearby. Cut a shallow "X" in the bottom of each tomato. Boil the tomatoes for 25-30 seconds then plunge them directly into the ice water.
- Combine sugar, "flour," zest, rosemary and salt. Set aside.
- Once cooled, peel the tomatoes and slice, coring as necessary. Toss together the strawberries and tomatoes. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dust a piece of parchment paper with gluten-free "flour" mix. On the paper, roll out half the dough into an 1/8 inch thick round. Place the round on a flat surface in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Grease a 9-inch pie pan. On another piece of "flour" dusted parchment, roll out the remaining dough to 1/8 inch thick, using more "flour" as needed. Set the pie pan upside down on the rolled out dough and quickly flip the dough into the pan. Trim any overhang and press together any cracks.
- Pour half the fruit mixture into the pie pan followed by half of the sugar mixture sprinkled evenly around. Repeat to fill.
- Remove the second piecrust from the freezer. Slice the dough into 3/4 - 1 inch wide strips. Quickly lay the strips on top of the pie into a lattice design.
- Whisk together egg yolk and heavy cream. Brush the crust with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired. Place pie in the oven and bake for 50 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and bubbling.
This recipe was originally written for The Seed & Plate and was republished with permission here.
Related recipes on MNN: