Gnocchi with Sage and Buttery Baby Lima Beans
This quick and easy meal takes only minutes to put together.
About This Dish
While this recipe calls for baby lima beans, you can also use fava beans, spring peas or even edamame. It's really up to your personal preference. The mix of something green and firm pairs well with the soft fluffy gnocchi. Meanwhile, the browned butter and savory sage flavor brings everything together and makes the dish complete.
- Large soup pot
- Saute pan
- Slotted spoon
- 1⁄3 cup butter, divided
- 11⁄2 cup baby lima beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package pre-made gnocchi
- 10-12 sage leaves
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan over medium-high heat, heat half the butter and add in the baby lima beans, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until just tender.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and boil for about 45 seconds (or however long the package says to cook them). Remove them with a slotted spoon and place them in a serving bowl.
- Pour the baby lima beans over the gnocchi and return the saute pan to the heat.
- Add in the second half of the butter and the sage leaves. Fry the sage leaves until crisp and the butter is browned, about 2 minutes. Drizzle it over the beans and gnocchi. Toss a couple times to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. If you'd like, top the dish with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan or pecorino Romano cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!