Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 2 1/2 cups pureed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed cayenne pepper (this amount will make it quite spicy, so cut back if you don't want your curry so hot)
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound potatoes, unpeeled, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, combine the oil and tomatoes and cook for about one minute.
- Stir in the salt, turmeric, mustard seeds and cayenne, then cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the water and potatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the green beans, cover and cook 5-8 minutes more, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and increase heat to medium. Once the mixture comes to a boil, add the spinach and stir, allowing the spinach to wilt, about 15-30 seconds. Once the spinach is wilted, it is ready. Serve and enjoy!
Related posts on MNN: