Hearty Vegetable Soup with Pasta Shells
Nothing warms you up like a bowl of hot homemade vegetable noodle soup.
About This Dish
There's something so cozy and satisfying about a hot bowl of vegetable soup. It's as comforting to cook as it is to eat — and you just can't mess it up. It's great for any season, using any vegetables that are in the markets, and any changes simply make it more interesting. Adapted from a recipe by Kelly Rossiter.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup tomato pasta souce
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup small pasta shells
- 1 pinch fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add in the onions, carrots and celery. Cook the vegetables until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and cook until they have started to soften.
- Add pasta sauce and vegetable stock and bring the pot to a simmer. Continue to simmer another 5 minutes or so, until the vegetables are almost tender. Add pasta shells, and simmer until they are al dente. Give the soup a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and enjoy!