Homemade Dairy-Free Chocolate Milk
Combine hemp's health benefits with the deliciousness of cocoa powder for a cold, creamy drink.
About This Dish
Next time you’re craving a creamy cup of chocolate milk but agonizing over what it’ll do to your waistline, consider this: By swapping hemp milk for regular milk, you’ll take a delicious drink to new levels as hemp is high in protein, low in sugar and a good source of fiber and omega-3s, 6s and 9s. It’s also easily digestible and may have cardiovascular benefits, too.
“Because hemp isn’t the richest of milks, consider adding cashews to your concoction for some extra oomph,” says Ken Immer, president and chief culinary officer of Culinary Health Solutions, a company that focuses on healthy eating solutions. “We want a chocolate milk to be thick and rich!”
In this recipe, we recommend using regular cocoa powder. “If you really want to keep it 100 percent raw and unprocessed, use cacao powder, which is just the roasted nibs, and has additional health benefits and purity that is absent from the cocoa,” Immer says.
- Cheesecloth or nutmilk bag
- Pitcher or drink container
- 3⁄4 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashew pieces
- 3 or 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 31⁄2 to 4 cup filtered water, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa power or raw cacao powder
- Soak the hemp seeds, cashews and dates (more dates make the milk sweeter) in 3 1/2 cups of water for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- After soaking, blend on high for up to one minute to be sure the seeds and nuts are completely pulverized.
- To strain the milk, you can either use a nut milk bag, cheesecloth or a super thin clean dish towel. Simply lay the towel over a mixing bowl and pour on the milk, then gather the corners of the towel, lift and gently squeeze the liquid into the bowl until only the pulp remains. (This pulp can be used as a flour replacement in some recipes).
- Pour the milk back into the blender and add the cocoa or cacao powder. Blend again on high until the chocolate is completely dissolved. Keep refrigerated. Will last 3 to 5 days if kept well chilled.