For a simple granola that is packed with healthy benefits and delicious flavor, try this quick and easy recipe. It is perfect sprinkled over fresh fruit or even salads. It's also great on its own as a healthy snack in the middle of the day or as trail mix while hiking. If you aren't vegan, it's ideal for making yogurt parfaits, as a topping for ice cream, or with a bowl of milk and berries in the morning.
If you like a hint of coconut flavor in your granola, coconut oil also works well for this recipe instead of vegetable oil.
Another great addition is one cup of mixed dried fruit, such as raisins, dried blueberries, dried cherries, dried apricots, dried banana slices, chopped dried apples, and anything else you enjoy. Toss in the mixed dried fruit after the granola has completely cooled. It's a great way to add more texture and a touch more sweetness.
The granola will last for several weeks if stored in an air-tight container.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: About 4 cups
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1.5 cups nuts and seeds of your choice (almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, flaxseeds, etc)
- 0.5 cups freshly squeezed apple juice
- 0.5 cups maple syrup (or honey for a non-vegan version)
- 0.25 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats with the nuts and seeds.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the apple juice, honey, oil, vanilla, and spices. Over a very low heat, warm the mixture just until the honey has softened and everything is well combined. Remove from heat, and pour the mixture over the oats and nuts. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread the mixture in a single thin layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure there is plenty of space on the sheet to spread out the granola. If there is too much piled onto the baking sheet, the granola won't be able to get crunchy. You may need to bake the mix in two batches depending on the size of your baking sheet and oven.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes total, stirring every 12-14 minutes to make sure the granola browns evenly. When the granola is an even golden brown, remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.