Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yields: Feeds 4 to 6
Equipment you'll need
- Chef's knife
- Large mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- Baking sheet
- Kitchen mitt or towel
- 4 tbs. + 1 teaspoon light olive, or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium-sized eggplants, cubed
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 1 large plum tomato, halved and quartered
- 2 Anaheim peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tbs. curry powder
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 bundle cilantro, loosely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut eggplant into even sized cubes, about 1 inch. Combine with 2 tbs. oil and salt and fold. Lightly grease a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon oil and place eggplant in a single layer. Place baking sheet on lower rack of oven and cook for 20 about minutes, until fork tender and eggplant begins to caramelize.
- Heat remaining 2 tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add onion, garlic, pepper, tomato and ginger. Sauté ingredients until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir cumin and curry powder into sautéed vegetables until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Transfer roasted eggplant from baking sheet to skillet, add yogurt, stir ingredients and cover. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve on a bed of basmati rice.
Related on MNN: