Total time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 1 bunch fresh dill, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup matzoh meal or all-purpose flour
- Egg replacer equivalent of 1 egg
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- Shred the potatoes, vegetables, and red onion and place in a strainer over a large bowl. Drain for about 15 minutes, and then discard any liquid in the bowl, leaving any remaining starch.
- Add the shredded vegetables and the remaining ingredients to the bowl, and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until very hot but not smoking. Scoop up handful-size patties and place in the hot oil, spreading them into 3- to 4-inch rounds with a fork. You may need to do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Don’t flip them too much! Fry until golden, about 4 minutes on each side, and drain on paper towels or brown paper bags on a wire rack.