Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 75 minutes
Total time: 95 minutes
Yield: 2 small or 4 mini quiches
Mini Quiche with Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Feta Cheese
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 button or crimini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup half and half cream
- 1 oz feta cheese
- Pastry crust to line the moulds (enough for about two pies)
- In a small skillet, heat half of the oil and add the onion. Cook over a very low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions caramelize. This typically takes about 30-40 minutes. When the onions are the desired level of sweet and golden brown, put them in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Reheat the skillet and add the remaining olive oil, then add the mushrooms and cook over a medium high heat until they release their liquid. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the mushrooms are a golden brown. Stir the mushrooms into to bowl holding the onions.
- Roll out pastry, cut it to fit the moulds and line moulds with the crust. Make sure to press the crust to the moulds with your thumbs. Place the moulds in the refrigerator until ready to fill.
- To the bowl containing the mushrooms an onions, add the egg, cream and cheese and stir everything together, lightly beating the eggs.
- Remove the crusts from the refrigerator and ladle the quiche filling into the moulds until they are almost full. The liquid may bubble over a little but not much, so don't be shy about filling them. Place the moulds on a baking sheet and place the sheet on the center rack of the oven.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the crust edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. You can eat the quiches hot from the oven, or at room temperature. They're a perfect addition to any weekend brunch, but because they're so savory, you can even add them as a heavy side for a comforting dinner on a cold evening. Enjoy!
Related posts on MNN:
- Healthy Banana Blueberry Bread
- Orange-Cranberry Muffins with Pecans
- Summer Fruit Tartlets with Lemon Olive Oil Crust