Hurricane Irene is bearing down on the Northeast, which could mean power outages for hundreds of thousands of people this weekend. For the rest of the country, the oppressive heat means the air conditioning is running non-stop, giving the power grid a workout.
Food blogger Robin Shreeves says one way to conserve energy under either circumstance is to serve a meal that doesn't require an oven. The added bonus: you won’t heat up the kitchen.
Here are some no-cook meal ideas to try:
- Delish! has 12 Lightning-Quick No-Cool Dinners to chose from, including some no-bake cookies for dessert.
- This Creamy Avocado & White Bean Wrap from Eating Well looks delicious. Make extra for tomorrow’s lunch.
- Chunky Tomato-Fruit Gazpacho from Cooking Light is certain to cool your body temperature down while not heating up your kitchen.
- Lifetime Moms has an entire No-Cook Dinner Party Menu including beverage and dessert.
- Another entire menu is the No-Cook Mediterranean Menu from AZ Central.