Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 medium carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 5 pears peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and stir in the onion. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover the onions, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until they're soft but not browned.
- Turn the heat up to medium and stir in the garlic, potato, and carrot. Cover the pot and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the maple syrup, pear, salt, thyme, sage and nutmeg. Give the ingredients a stir, making sure to coat the pear and vegetables in the syrup and spices. Allow to cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the broth, bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a blender — or use an immersion blender — and puree for 2-3 minutes until it is completely smooth. Give it a taste and add a pinch of salt and pepper, or adjust other spices as you wish. Serve hot and enjoy!
Related recipes on MNN: